Sunday, July 24, 2016

The Week of the New Mission Call 6/26/16

Hi, 
Before I say anything let me flash you back to my training days, probably my second month in country. I was at the mission home and President Christensen pulled me into his office and asked me about my Vietnamese abilities. I told him a little better than kitchen Vietnamese but that I did not know how to read or write. He said that was fine and that it would be easy to learn. I asked him what his intentions were and he said he wouldn't switch me over to the Vietnamese program unless something happened to one of the Sisters or unless they really needed me. He asked me how I would feel if I switched over and I said politely that I would be more than happy to but that I was having so much fun in the Khmer program and that I really loved the language! I was relieved and continued on with my mission when he told me not to worry. 

This week, transfer calls came. I was feeling pretty peaceful and was really pulling for another transfer here in Toul Tom Pong. Well, President called the other set of sisters in our house and I heard Sister Lines scream and we all suspected that he was calling to ask Sister Schwab to be Sister AP. But then she looked up and pointed to me (Xiong and I lost our phone this week, so he couldn't call us directly) This is how my conversation went with President...
"Hi, Sister Nguyen. How are you doing?"
"I'm nervous."
"Why are you nervous?"
"Why are you calling me President?"
"Well, it's the Sunday night before transfers and you know what I usually do, right? I call people. I have a special assignment for you"
I thought he was going to call me to whitewash or be a Sister Training Leader or finish up training one of the new missionaries, but no. He switched me over to the Vietnamese program and my heart literally dropped and my stomach twisted and turned. I sat crying on the phone asking him not to because I was just beginning to learn Khmer and I really was loving it. He said that he felt really strongly about this and that he really felt that it's what Heavenly Father wanted as well. He added that I knew enough Khmer now and that it was time. Anyway, I'm way sad, and really nervous because it will basically be like training all over again -- learning a new language and all. But I am SO grateful and honored to be able to help the church grow here. Plus, I'll still be in Cambodia, only now I'll be speaking Vietnamese and be in the same two area for the rest of my mission. It's cool too because I'll be basically starting a new mission exactly on the day of my half way mark! 

This week was way interesting. My companion is going through some of her own struggles plus she has had this nasty cold so we didn't proselyte very much this week. We got maybe two hours of proselyting in each day. So basically, I sat inside the house, updated Convert Baptismal Records, and cleaned the house a million times. I really started to go stir crazy. It's funny because on Thursday I was way bummed that we didn't get to go out and then our house literally flooded and I ended up mopping the house down for the rest of the day. It's like Heavenly Father knew I was bored and wanted to give me something to do. 

I love this area so much. I'm more than grateful to have served here for so long. The members here are the best and are so loving. I'm so sad to be leaving them. I love my companion. And I'm grateful to have been able to serve in the Khmer program. I honestly think Heavenly Father let me marinate on this side of the mission for this long so I could meet some of the mission's best missionaries. 

Ok. That's all from me. I love you all so much and am thankful for your support. I hope you are all enjoying your busy summer and soaking up the sun! 

Love,
Chi Ca Nguyen 


Picture 1 Sister Ren who was in the house with me during training came for an exchange with Sister Schwab!
Picture 2 Pharun in TTP. She's awesome and knows so much English. She's leaving for her mission pretty soon!
Picture 3 Probably my favorite investigator ever. Her name is Thida and she's so awesome. She was so sad I was leaving but said she would still learn and get baptized because she's getting baptized for God not for me :)
Picture 4 Kanika. She was born in America but lives over here. She's the best and I love her like a little sister. 

Picture 5 PUPPIES




No comments:

Post a Comment