Monday, October 5, 2015

Week 1 - The Week We Kicked the Can'ts in the Pants‏!

October 5, 2015 


Cumriabsua kruumkrusaa!! 

WOW. DO I HAVE SO MUCH TO TELL YOU ALL. I'm kind of freaking out because we only have an hour to email and so it's sort of A LOT of pressure. So, I'm sorry for the typos and incorrect grammar. 

I'm not even sure where to start! My flight to SLC got delayed two hours on Wednesday so my plans before entering the MTC didn't happen. I was a little frustrated but then I was just really grateful that we were able to get here safely. I was so nervous before coming in because, one, I was SOO late and two, there was no turning back. Well, Sunny can testify to my nerves and anxiety, but as soon as I walked in, there was an amazing spirit that just filled my heart. I am so happy to be here. My companion is Sister Luke from Tennessee! She is so awesome and we get along really well. She is also going to Kampuchea! The other sisters in our room are Sister Brown and Sister Haddock. They're awesome, so diligent, and very full of the spirit. I love them so much already. They're hilarious and keep me distracted so I don't think about home and get sad. Everyone in the MTC has been so helpful and kind. It's kind of like Heaven on earth here. I love it so much and am not sure why everyone wants to get out of here so fast...then again I've only been here a few days. 

Let me tell you about my district! They are my favorite people ever. I could talk about them forever. We have seven sisters and four elders. One of the sisters, Sister Lemon was in my YSA ward at BYU (she is the only one not going to Kampuchea. She's going to Tacoma, WA Khmer speaking. I know right?!) and Elder Mendenhall was in my BIO 120 class! So it was a little comforting to see familiar faces. Our district leader is Elder Bullough, which is perfect. He is so in tune with the spirit and leads us in the direction we need. I wouldn't be surprised if he was called to be an apostle one day. I love my district a lot. Have I already said that? They are beyond amazing and soo motivated and already very good at speaking Khmer. It gets a little discouraging sometimes, but honestly, I love them so much that it's becoming difficult to compare myself to them. They motivate me to continue to learn and try harder. I'm so glad we all got called to not only serve together but to help each other learn and grow. There are two Vietnamese speaking elders in our zone! One is going to Vietnam because he is half Viet and the other is going to Kampuchea because he already speaks Khmer so they want him to learn another language. So he and I sort of are in the same situation! OH FUN THING. The Vietnamese ambassador and a few delegates are coming to observe our class today! They want to see what we are all about so they can decide whether or not they want to renew the Church's validity in their country. Apparently, this is a very rare opportunity so we are really blessed! I'm excited and can't wait to try my broken Vietnamese out on them. 

The language is so hard, but it's only been six days and I can already bear my testimony and say a simple prayer. We taught our first investigator, Vibool on our third day here. It was very difficult, but I definitely felt the Holy Ghost and that's what's really important. The spirit in the mtc really is so strong. I don't have to try to feel it, it's there and walking with me every step of the way. I love the fact that Heavenly Father loves us so much He has allowed a member of the Godhead to be our constant companion. Everything has seemed a little impossible these past few days, but it has helped me so much in turning to the Lord. I have never depended more on Him in any moment of my life than I have now. The atonement is real and I'm just beginning how to use it in my life. It has helped so much because I know I cannot do this alone. And really, I would not be able to do any of this without divine help. For that, I am eternally grateful. I'm so excited to serve the people of Kampuchea. They are so poor in spirit and wealth, they have been so pained by their history. I believe that it has humbled them so much and that they are ready to receive the Gospel so that they can use the atonement in their lives and see that Christ lives and allow Him to heal their hearts! He is there for us!! I had that moment of realization on Saturday at Conference (which was really great by the way! am I right or what??). I love this work and I can feel the atonement working in my life as my desires to repent and grow increase. I could talk forever about this week, but then I'd be rambling. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else with my life right now! I love you all so much and am so grateful for the tremendous amount of support you offer. I pray that you too seek to recognize the Lord's hand in your life and reap the blessings of the sacrifice Christ has made for us all. I love you I love you! Until next week! 

Cumriablea!
Sister Nguyen    

Picture 1 Sister Brown, Sister Luke, Sister Haddock and I with all the books we use. They tell us to save at least 10 pounds for books in our suitcases..uhm how about 50?



Picture 2 Our district right after our temple session this morning 



Picture 3 My sweet companion, Sister Luke and I





No comments:

Post a Comment