Sunday, December 13, 2015

The week I ate LARVA!

Hello all!
This week was full of several tender mercies. On Tuesday, we held signs up outside of the church for free English classes and that was fun. Not a lot of people stopped to grab flyers but they smiled so I guess that counts as something, right? Anyway, so on Wednesday, we taught an English class with the other elders and sisters from our district. I was pumped because now the Khmers had to try to understand me and I felt powerful. So this random girl comes and sits next to me and I was like alright cool. She was having trouble pronouncing some of the words and so I tried to help and decided to strike up a conversation. I asked her what her name was and stuff like that and she looked like she wasn't understanding me so I had to tell her that I didn't really know Khmer, I was Vietnamese and from America. She said something about Vietnam and I didn't really understand her so I smiled and nodded #classic. And then she asked me if I knew Vietnamese and so I asked her back just because that's what I do to everyone and she said yes! Turns out she's half Vietnamese and half Khmer and lived in Vietnam but was in Cambodia for school until the 24th. And so we talked for the rest of the time and she asked me what I was doing here and if I was scared because apparently I look terrified or something?? Not sure. But I told her we were missionaries and that we teach about Jesus Christ and that for me the Gospel of Jesus Christ has brought me so much comfort and guidance. We gave her a Book of Mormon and she said she would be interested in learning. The next day, we taught her and she asked if our church taught weird things like everyone has to be a sister. Sister Nhem told her that this was a choice because we want to share our happiness. Anyway, she had a bunch of good questions and in the end she accepted baptism!! So I am way pumped.
On Thursday, we made the trek to Phnom Penh for training. We caught a free bus ride with a bunch of members who were in Kampong Cham for a service project but on their way back to Phnom Penh. The entire bus ride was literally the worst. We heard Adele's and JB's new song and it kind of was awful. Sister Semones and I definitely bonded though and laughed the whole time at the Khmer's song selection. Some of the songs were in English but I don't think they knew what the lyrics meant because I'm pretty sure it wasn't appropriate to play at a church activity. On one of our pit stops, we met some of the other members on the other bus and a bunch of them spoke Vietnamese but i couldn't keep up haha. Also Sister Nhem held a tarantula and it was disgusting watching it's little sack jiggle. People actually do eat that here and I'm real tempted too. Also at the pit stop yes, Sister Semones and I ate larvae and it was pretty yum.
On Friday I saw all of my MTC district and I WAS LITERALLY SO HAPPY. Everyone sounds like they're doing awesome and having a lot of the same experiences! It's crazy how different you can look in a week. I missed them so much and I still do. They are a special group and are like a family to me. It was so heartbreaking to say bye because it'll be for a while but honestly, wouldn't want it to be any other way because we are here to do the Lord's work! And plus, they're homies for life so we've got all the time in the world after this. But for now, our time is devoted 10385048% to the Lord and to the Khmers. After our full day of training, we all went out a Christmas caroled around the city. It was super fun. And now I am back here in Kampong Cham ready to try harder and ready to forget myself. I'M GOING TO LEARN THIS LANGUAGE AND I AM GOING TO TRY MY BEST TO HELP THESE PEOPLE.
This week, my study was a lot about the Lord's work. I love Luke 4:18 because it lists off all the things Christ did during His ministry. And we are told so many times that our work is His work. The two are inseparable meaning we can do the same things Christ did during His ministry. Maybe not literally healing a leper or causing the blind to see but in a figurative sense yes. How great is that! The best way to make Christ's ways our ways is to learn of Him. This work is hard but I know it is worth it, if not for me then for them. I wouldn't rather be anywhere else in the world right now. Anyway, until next week!! I love you all and hope you are having fun preparing for Christmas!!!
Love,
Sister Nguyen
Picture 1 At Watt/ Mountain Haan Ce with GMO fruits 
 Picture 2 At Watt/Mountain Haan Ce Pday rocks
 Picture 3 Sister Nhem with satan in the form of a bug 
 Picture 4 Watt/Mountain Haan Ce again. Aren't my companions the cutest? Yes.
 Picture 5 In the city caroling and cornering people to give the pass along cards about Jesus 
 Picture 6 Good friends after a long day of training 

No comments:

Post a Comment