Monday, March 7, 2016

The Week Sister Yin and I Are Breaking Up‏

Friends, Family!!! This was a craaazzzzyyy week.
 On Monday, we had interviews with President and it ended up taking longer than anticipated because he got a little backed up so we didn't get to proselyte at all. And then Tuesday and Wednesday, Sister Yin took me all around the area so I could get to know  the area more before she leaves. Funny story, on Wednesday, we had to go back to the American Embassy to pick up Sister Yin's visa. We went back and there were a group of Bong's standing around and we decided to contact them! We gave them all pamphlets and they knew a lot of English so they wanted to talk for a little while we waited until Sister Yin could go in to the embassy. One of the Bongs took a pamphlet and immediately started sketching the front cover of pamphlet. And afterwards, he gave us the sketch with his number on it...hahaha. We told him that we weren't interested and that we were here to preach the gospel and also that it was against the rules. And he said, "If I could take both of you to be my wife, that would be really good luck. I would love you both the same". We told him no and let immediately after that. Sister Yin says these kinds of things happen a lot to her because she looks Korean. Also because she looks Korean, people always say they can't understand when she is speaking and then tell me I speak clearer than her. I don't like it but Sister Yin thinks it's so funny and is actually super flattered when people say that.  
On Thursday, Sister Yin and I got permission from President to head up to Siem Riep  which is 7 hours away. It's where Sister Yin is from. She had to go home and pack her things for her mission. Her original call is to Salt Lake City, but she had to wait for some paperwork to get done and now she is headed out tomorrow!! She hasn't yet been to the MTC or even through the Temple and I had no idea! She is so experienced and knows so much already that she had me fooled! Anyway, it was super nice to be back in a khet even if it was filled with a million tourists. We packed her clothes for about forty five minutes and then caught the bus Friday back to Phnom Penh because by the time we were done packing it was too late. It was the worst bus ride ever. There was only one restroom stop. But there were a million tiny stops because the driver wanted to pick up more people. Sister Yin did however teach me a lot of vocab on they way back though! 
On Saturday, we met with most of our investigators! One of our only progressing investigators is named Maninoot. She is super sweet and has even helped us teach a few lessons. One time she taught about the Atonement with us and started crying in the lesson because she felt the spirit so strong. She's awesome and is getting baptized pretty soon. But since she is an actress/model this is her only free time and she says that this next month will be pretty busy for her. Hopefully, she has been converted enough and has enough faith to continue to come to church. We have another investigator named Bong Sophat who is super willing to learn and she always keeps the commitments we give her EXCEPT she does not come to church. We taught her about the Word of Wisdom and she said, "well if it's bad for my health then of course I will follow it!". And so we invited her to church and she said she just goes to a church close to her house because it's closer and they teach exactly the same things. We were really confused and reminded her about why our church was different and that we would come back a later time to teach her lesson 1. She said ok so we will see how this goes! 
Every Sunday, we have to bike over to one of our recent converts house and walk her to church because she is in a wheelchair and can't bring herself. I tried to talk to Sister Yin about getting members to help and she agreed! It was a little frustrating though because even though we tried, everything fell through and we had to walk her anyway. It's so important that we get members to fellowship these recent converts especially because us missionaries will not be here forever and because even President Kimball (I think) taught that it's one of the three things every recent convert needs. Also, this Sunday was a little slow because we didn't get any lessons or contacts. Sister Yin wanted to go meet with members, less-actives, and recent converts so she could say goodbye. And we had a few lessons lined up but they ended up falling through. It was good though, because now I am more familiar with the area and members. The members here are incredible and are always so willing to help the missionaries teach. They also love Sister Yin sooooo soo soooo much and I'm a little scared that I won't be able to measure up. But I know this is the Lord's work and that's the real reason I am here.
Tomorrow, I get my new companion and I have to lead out the area after just a week! I'm a little nervous but I know that the Lord will always help and will always lead us to those who He needs us to meet if we just obey His commandments. I'm way excited and will let you all know how it goes! I hope you have the best week ever and enjoy your girl scout cookies!!!!!!! 

Love,
Sister Nguyen 

Picture 1 From last Pday.  - I really wish I could tell you what you were looking at. All I know is it'was inside the Royal Palace *ooooohhhh ahhhh* 


Picture 2 -  The Creepy Bong 


Picture 3 -  Sister Yin and I got a watermelon from one of our Investigators but it was Fast Sunday and we couldn't eat it yet. This is us stalling. 
Picture 4  - The Young Women! 

No comments:

Post a Comment